Village Groups and Committees
Under the auspices of our Community organization, members and non-members of MCASA alike have from time to time formed committees which organize social functions and picnics, essentially for persons originally from those Macedonian villages, but certainly not exclusively so.
The following committees are still active, and will organize social functions in the Macedonian Community Hall :
• Aegean Macedonia - “Peshoshnica”, and “Kotori” ;
The following village committees have now disbanded :
• Aegean Macedonia – “Visheni”
• Republic of Macedonia – “Prilep”, “Kochani”, “Pelagonia”, “Prespa”
Other external Macedonian organizations/representatives/agents in Adelaide with a reciprocal affiliation to MCASA
• Macedonian Orthodox Diocese of Australia – Sydney (MODAS) (federal)
• Association of Macedonian Communities in Australia Inc. (AMCA) (federal)
• Macedonian Communities Council of Australia Inc. (MCCA) (federal)
• Australian Macedonian Human Rights Committee (AMHRC) (federal)
• Australian Macedonian Society / Ilinden Foundation (federal)
• Macedonian Information and Liaison Service (MILS) (international)
• Macedonian Human Rights Movement (international) (MHRMI)
• “Macedonian Horizon 21” (local)
Other Macedonian organizations in Adelaide not under the MCASA umbrella, nor affiliated with our Community
(nb Contact details for relevant personnel can only be provided with consent of same)
• The Macedonian Community "VMRO-DPMNE" for Adelaide South Australia Inc.
• Macedonian Orthodox Church Community “St. Mary, Holy mother of God”, Woodville South
• Macedonian True Orthodox Church Parish “Sts Peter and Paul”, Semaphore
• Macedonian Community and Educational Support Services Inc. (MCESS), Brahma Lodge
• Macedonian Soccer Club “Macedonia United Lions”, Brahma Lodge
• Macedonian Social Club “Florina” (which identifies itself as ‘Greek-Macedonian’ and promotes a pro-Greek political and historical view), Salisbury
• World Macedonian Congress (international)
• United Macedonian Diaspora (international)
Selective commentary about organizations not affiliated with MCASA
The local branch of this Macedonian political party has never been affiliated with nor a formal part of MCASA, which in its objects and purposes remains a voluntary, not-for-profit, non-party political organization. In or around 1994, this organization established itself as an incorporated entity under SA legislation, and now refers to itself as 'The Macedonian Community "VMRO-DPMNE" for Adelaide South Australia Inc.' In the Republic of Macedonia, VMRO-DPMNE, a right-wing nationalist party, has formed government for the larger portion of the last twenty years. Currently however, the left wing, pro-EU party SDSM (Social Democrats) is in office. Both VMRO-DPMNE and SDSM however have always governed in coalition with political parties representing the minority Albanian population in the Republic of Macedonia.
2. Macedonian Orthodox Church Community “St.Mary, Holy Mother of God”
This Church is part of the Diocese MODANZ.
There have been two Macedonian Orthodox Diocese in Australia since 2012. Both come under the umbrella of the Macedonian Orthodox Church, based in Skopje, Republic of Macedonia. The original Diocese in Australia and New Zealand, MODANZ (1967), is currently headed by the Administrator Bishop Petar (1995), from whom numerous Communities and Churches separated in 1997. These breakaway entities, organized under the banner of the Association of Macedonian Communities in Australia Inc. (AMCA), mostly employed independent but fully qualified Macedonian orthodox clergy in their parishes during the schism. After the active intervention of the Holy Synod of the Macedonian Orthodox Church in 2012, a second registered Diocese (MODAS) was established for the AMCA churches. The Administrator of MODAS is Bishop Timotej, who had preceded Bishop Petar in his role prior to 1995.
NB. MCASA is a member of AMCA, while our Church “St.Naum of Ohrid” is a part of MODAS.
3. Macedonian True Orthodox Church Parish “Sts Peter and Paul”, Semaphore
This Church was established in 2016 under the jurisdiction of an administrative Church entity of this name based in North America, and is not part of the official Macedonian Orthodox Church, based in the Republic of Macedonia. There are parishes in other Australian states.
4. Macedonian Patriotic Organization (MPO) “Todor Aleksandroff” Aust. Inc.
This organization is now dormant in SA and Australia generally. It was previously affiliated to the long-standing organization of that name in North America. It only ever had a very small membership in SA, due to its unpopular pro-Bulgarian (as distinct from pro-Macedonian) policies and historical views.
© For further information, please contact the MCASA Secretary Michael Radin on 0433 128 400 or email@example.com
Commissioned by SA Migration Museum (2019)
PUBLISHING & BROADCASTING